Seafood Vermicelli

By A Wee Bit of Cake - February 17, 2015



How on earth are we half way through February already? I’ve been so busy these past few weeks between work trips away, flying home for a dress fitting, trips down to Oxford and Leicester to see friends, gym and wedding stuff. It’s all been non stop. I actually can’t wait for this Saturday when I can have a lie in and have a lazy day with Mr T before we head to York in the evening to see a show.

A few weeks back (ok, a month but forgive me I’m seriously lacking in free time at the moment) Sainsburys asked me to take part in their freezer challenge whereby I had to make a meal using their frozen products. Initially my first thought was chicken nuggets and ready meals as to be honest the only freezer food I tend to buy is veg and pizza. I really wasn’t expecting a lot so I bobbed in one day after work to see what was available and to give me inspiration on what to make. Straight away I was drawn to the frozen seafood; it’s so good and so cheap!


I really liked the look of the frozen seafood mix and the pots of ready chopped garlic. I never get through a bulb in time and always end up chucking some which really bothers me. I also got some frozen blueberries which I used to try out Sainsbury’s new Panna Cotta kit.

The frozen seafood pack came into it’s own during these past few weeks where dinner has needed to be quick, easy and healthy. In fact I’ve actually been back and bought a second pack of the frozen seafood to make this dish again – Gok Wan’s Seafood Vermicelli which I’ve tweaked a bit to suit our tastes. Mr T liked it so much on both occasions that he went back for seconds and said it actually tasted like a Chinese takeaway. It’s now become a staple item in our freezer and as for the frozen garlic – it’s ace and saves on waste too. Double win!


Seafood Vermicelli
2 nest of dried noodles
2 tsp Sainsburys frozen garlic
2 red peppers
100g frozen peas
1 carrot thinly sliced
3 eggs
1 bag of Sainsburys frozen seafood mix (defrosted)
Light soy sauce
  • Boil the noodles for 5 minutes until soft
  • Fry the veg in a pan with the garlic until soft
  • Tip onto a plate and add the 3 beaten eggs back into the pan, breaking up into little bits once it starts to cook.
  • Toss the noodles, veg and seafood back into the pan with a good glug of soy sauce and season well.
  • Cook for a further 5 mins until the seafood is cooked through. 
  • Serve up and enjoy!
My only wish now is for a bigger kitchen so I could have a chest freezer and stock up on more of the yummy stuff available.


*Review but all thoughts are my own*

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments