Key Lime Meringue Brownies

By A Wee Bit of Cake - January 22, 2015

Meringues. Not my favourite bake when I have them by themselves as I find them too sweet but mix them with something and you are on to a winner.


Sugar and Crumbs recently contacted me about a meringue campaign that they are running and asked me to create some new recipes using their amazing icing sugars. I’ve always been a fan of Sugar and Crumbs, their flavours are amazing and make life so much easier when it comes to making fillings for cakes.
When they said this challenge was about meringues I knew I had to make something a little different. I have already added them to cakes before but after a bit of research online I noticed a lot of brownie meringue recipes. The key lime pie flavour seemed like the perfect match to the chocolate so I couldn’t wait to try it out.

After two attempts (the first one left me with an undercooked brownie that fell apart) I’m really pleased with how these turned out. Flavour wise I wasn’t totally sold on it but the texture was pretty immense. Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside and it held its shape really well. I’m totally sold on the concept though and I can’t wait to try it with their other icing sugar flavours!

Key Lime Meringue Brownies
250g dark chocolate
100g milk chocolate
200g unsalted butter
250g soft dark sugar
3 eggs
Zest of 1 lime
50g SR flour
2 egg whites
100g Sugar and Crumbs icing sugar

  • Preheat your oven to 180C (fan)

  • Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin

  • Melt the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water

  • Whisk the eggs and sugar on a high speed until doubled in volume

  • Once melted, fold the chocolate and butter into the egg mix and gently fold in the lime zest and flour.

  • Bake in the oven for 25mins

  • Once the brownie has been baking for around 15 mins you can make a start on the meringue. In a clean bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff.

  • Continue to whisk and add the icing sugar a teaspoon at a time

  • If you wish you can add a drop of green food colouring.

  • Remove the brownie from the oven (it should have a slight wobble) and gently spread the meringue on top.

  • Turn the oven down to 150C and bake for a further 20mins.

  • Leave to cool in the tin, slice into 12 portions and enjoy!




Thanks Sugar and Crumbs for sending me some products to review. I’ve another meringue idea that I’m hoping will work so I’ll be trying that out this weekend.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments