Salted Caramel Marshmallows

By A Wee Bit of Cake - December 23, 2014



Back in the summer I helped a friend make a mammoth amount of marshmallows and at that point I swore I would never make another marshmallow again! Well never say never cos I’ve eaten my words (literally haha!)


Well, a few weeks ago Sainsburys contacted me to tell me about a new marshmallow kit they had and asked did I want to try it out. Usually I’m not a fan of box kits but I’m nosey and wanted to give it a go.

So… thoughts? It’s ace! Now usually I like to make my marshmallows from scratch using egg whites and boiling the sugar to a certain temperature but with the Sainsburys kit all this faff goes out the window. 

The instructions are so easy to follow although the inner geek in me had to resist using my Thermapen. I honestly thought I would have to take it out to make sure the sugar was at the right temperature but by following the simple and clear instructions it all worked out fine.

I wanted to try a different flavour and a toyed about using the organic jam I still have in the cupboard left over from the organic challenge but then I spied half a jar of salted caramel on the side left over from making Christmas gifts. Initally I was wary - would it be too much of a mix of sweet and salty - but actually it worked out great.

Once I poured the mix into the prepared tin I swirled the salted caramel through, you need to be fast at this point cos the marshmallow does start to set fairly quickly.

Once set make sure to grease your knife before dusting it in icing sugar and cutting the marshmallows, it makes things a whole lot easier.

Thanks Sainsburys for letting me try the kit, I've already recommended it to a few of the girls at cake club!




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments