Chocolate Mint Cake

By A Wee Bit of Cake - December 16, 2014

There is something about After 8's that always reminds me of Christmas. Maybe it's the chocolate and mint combination or the smell is quite nostalgic but whatever it is I knew I had to make something with those flavours when Sharon from Pudsey CCC invited me to a mini CCC event at her home last week.

Initally I was unsure as to how I would execute it but after a flick through the good old BBC Good Food website I stumbled across this recipe. Does anyone else have too many cookbooks but still go online in search of recipes? I'm so guilty of that!

I knew it was the ideal recipe but still needed a bit of work. Personally I can't stand sugarpaste on cakes, yes it makes them look amazing and I'll happy decorate numerous cakes with it but when it comes to cake club I like to ice my cakes in frosting or a glaze.I loved that the cake was filled with chocolate ganache so I decided to up the quantities and coat the outside of the cake in it. I also decided against the loaf tin purely because I couldn't be bothered with cutting the cake and having to repeat myself during the baking process (read the original recipe to see what I mean).


Chocolate Mint Cake
170g salted butter, plus extra for greasing
100g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
240g plain flour
280g caster sugar
6 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 large eggs
280ml buttermilk ( I forgot to buy some so just used the same amount of normal milk but added 1 tbsp of lemon juice and left it to sit for 5 minutes)

Chocolate Mint Ganache
300g mint chocolate (I used the big bars from Aldi)
300ml double cream

  • Preheat the oven to 160C fan
  • Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin.
  • Melt the butter and chocolate together in a small pan. 
  • Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa and bicarbonate in a bowl.
  • Whisk together the eggs with the buttermilk. 
  • Whisk the melted chocolate mixture and egg mixture into the dry ingredients, along with 200ml boiling water until lump-free. 
  • Pour into the tin and bake for 20 mins until a skewer inserted  comes out clean.
  • Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
  • To make the icing warm the cream until it starts to bubble lightly. 
  • Pour over the chocolate and stir until it has fully melted and is a glossy and smooth.
  • Place in the fridge to set for a few hours.
  • Once firm fill the cake with half the ganache, cover the top and sides with the remaining and decorate with a few festive sprinkles.

Enjoy!



All the wonderful cakes, yum yum!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. After 8's and mint matchsticks always remind me of Christmas :) it looks and sounds delicious Clare!

    ReplyDelete