Chocolate Bark

By A Wee Bit of Cake - November 03, 2014



So…. remember yesterday I shared my recipe for salted caramel and talked about planning edible Christmas gifts? Well, here is another idea for making an edible gift – chocolate bark!


 I’ve seen these floating around for a while but I’ve yet to try making my own. I decided I wanted to come up with a kid friendly and a more adult version of the bark and that’s when I thought of using the salted caramel in some and making some without.

This bark is seriously easy to make but for some reason I had issues with chocolate blooming and I don’t know why. I didn’t refrigerate it either cos I know that can cause it so I’m blaming the temperature of my kitchen. If anyone has any other ideas on why it happened, please let me know. 

Now the more perfectionist blogger would have re-made this without any blooming but I believe in showing you all that not all bakes are perfect, we all have days when things go wrong but it doesn’t matter. The important thing is it doesn’t put you off trying again.

Chocolate Salted Caramel Bark
300g dark chocolate
300g milk chocolate
A few tbsp of salted caramel
Variety of sprinkles
Butterscotch pieces
Edible silver leaf (Sainsburys sell this for £2, bargain!)
Baking tray


  • Melt the dark chocolate in a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water

  • Line the baking tray with clingfilm and pour over the melted chocolate making sure it is evenly spread out.

  • Set aside to cool and firm up

  • Once firm, heat the milk chocolate as before until melted

  • Spread the caramel over the set dark chocolate and pour the milk chocolate on top

  • Using a cocktail stick swirl the chocolate and caramel together, adding in a few more blobs of caramel if needed

  • Sprinkle over your edible decorations and leave to set

  • Once solid, break into pieces, wrap up in some greaseproof paper and tie with string

  • Oh and make sure to save a piece for yourself!




White Chocolate Bark
600g white chocolate
Green food colouring
Candy canes
Edible silver leaf
Handful of dried cranberries
Selection of edible sprinkles
Baking tray

  • Once again melt the chocolate, 300g as before but stir in the green food colouring

  • Line the baking tray with clingfilm and pour over the melted chocolate making sure it is evenly spread out.

  • Set aside to cool and firm up

  • Once firm, heat the remaining white chocolate as before until melted

  • Spread the melted chocolate over the set green chocolate

  • Sprinkle over your edible decorations and candy canes and leave to set

  • Once solid, break into pieces, wrap up in some greaseproof paper and tie with string





Easy and fun edible Christmas gifts – yum!

Thanks to Sainsburys for giving me the opportunity to come up with and develop these recipes.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments