Sundried Tomato and Pepperoni Flatbreads

By A Wee Bit of Cake - October 14, 2014



Bread – I love the stuff. Whether is a slice of Belfast Bap (I miss it loads living in England now), some Wheaten and cheese (another favourite of home) or a good old Naan bread to mop up a curry; you just can’t beat bread.

Watching this year’s GBBO really inspired me in the bread department. It’s always been something I’ve found quite challenging but I’m determined to get better at it. I guess with bread you need time and that’s something I don’t always have a lot of.

When Sainsburys told me about their bread challenge I was really torn on what to make. I debated about trying to make a really creative filled loaf but after flicking through some cookbooks I knew flatbreads were the answer. They are fairly quick by bread standards, don’t need that second prove and best of all they are so easy!


I decided to adapt Paul Hollywood’s Stilton and Grape Flatbreads to something more appealing to my palette (I’m not a fan of strong cheese) so I opted for sundried tomatoes and pepperoni. I was concerned too much oil might seep out if I used chorizo and pepperoni was much easier to dice into tiny pieces. 

Warning! These are very moreish straight from the pan, try and resist if you can. They are a great accompaniment to many dishes but they have enough flavour in them for you to enjoy them on their own.

Sundried Tomato and Pepperoni Flatbreads
500g strong white flour
10g salt
10g yeast
30g butter (softened)
300ml water
120g sundried tomatoes
60g pepperoni

  • Add the flour, butter, salt and yeast to a bowl (make sure the yeast and salt are at opposite sides of the bowl), slowly add the water until a dough is formed and knead until smooth and stretchy. You can do this by hand but I’m lazy so I popped it in the Kenwood and let it do the hard work.

  • Once the dough is at the right consistency, lightly oil a bowl with a splash of olive oil, pop in the dough, cover with clingfilm and leave in a warm place to let the magic happen.

  • Meanwhile, finely chop the sundried tomatoes and pepperoni. Dry off the sundried tomatoes with some kitchen roll to absorb the excess oil.

  • After about an hour or when the dough has doubled in size tip onto a floured surface and knock out the air.

  • Divide the dough into 12 portions, I weighed mine and it worked out about 80g per portion.

  • Shape each portion of dough into a ball, take 10g of tomatoes and 6g of pepperoni (don’t judge, I like to be accurate), push into the dough and pinch the sides over so the filling is well tucked in.

  • Heat a frying pan with a splash of olive oil over a medium heat.

  • Roll each piece of dough out to your desired size (mine varied between 15-20cm)and pop in the pan.

  • Fry on both sides for a minute or two until a pale golden brown.

  • For speed I had one flatbread in the pan while rolling out the other.

  • Place on a wire rack to cool.
  • Enjoy! I dare you to eat only one!


Thanks Sainsburys for this challenge, it’s been great!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments