Iron Cupcake Leeds

By A Wee Bit of Cake - October 16, 2013

Iron Cupcake, it’s a fab cupcake competition held on the second Sunday of each month at The Adelphi in Leeds centre. 

This month I was invited along to take part by the lovely Charlotte who has recently taken over from her cousin Zoe in organising the competition. When she mentioned that the theme was Death By Chocolate I jumped at the chance to take part. As you all know I have a mild obsession with salted caramel so I decided to enter my chocolate salted caramel cupcakes (recipe to follow later this week).

I had been wanting to take part in Iron Cupcake for ages but between a mixture of being busy on the day it was held and feeling slightly apprehensive about entering (yes I know I’ve entered baking competitions before but with cupcakes being so small everything needs to be perfect) I never seemed to get a chance to compete.

 

 
It really was a wonderful evening and very different from previous baking competitions that I have taken part in. All bakers had to bring along 12 identical cupcakes that met the brief of the theme. 10 were cut into quarters for tasting and two were kept for display – one beside the quartered cupcakes and one on a display table with all the other entries.

The Adelphi was buzzing on Sunday evening. Leeds University Baking society were there as some of the Eaters Panel (they judge) and there was a real excitable atmosphere.

There were 4 different categories Taste, Appearance, Theme and Best in Show. Unfortunately I didn’t win but the standard was very high and some people got very creative with their decorations. Best in Show was Jessica’s Day of the Dead cupcakes and further details can be found on the Iron Cupcake website.

All in all it was a lovey way to spend a Sunday evening and if you are hesitating about entering just do it! I got some great ideas from the other entrees and I am so glad I went along. Even though I didn’t win anything a few people came up to me and commented on my cupcakes so that in itself was a wonderful thing.

The next Iron Cupcake is on the 10th November and the theme is Baked in the USA. Further details can be found here.




Disclaimer: I was given 2 free tickets to Iron Cupcake but all thoughts and opinions are my own


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments