Salted Caramel Brownies

By A Wee Bit of Cake - September 25, 2013

So a few weeks ago we talked about my love of salted caramel and I posted a recipe for salted caramel petit fours. Then last week on GBBO there was a traybake challenge. So far this series I am trying to make something from each episode and the traybakes got me thinking. I have been on the hunt for a good brownie recipe for ages and so far the ones I have tried are either too bitter or too spongy or just not quite right. Yes, I know I'm fussy but I want proper gooey fudgy brownies. I decided I needed to add salted caramel to them as everything chocolatey tastes better with it added. Now I have tried s/c brownies before but I felt let down on the brownie bit, it just didn't hit the spot so I have been determined to make something that is chewy, gooey, fudgy and just all kinds of wonderful.

After asking on Twitter and doing a bit of googling one recipe kept popping up from the BBC Good Food website but after reading through it I felt it needed a few wee tweaks. The main one being swapping caster sugar for soft brown sugar.

I was busting to get making it over the weekend but between one thing and another I didn't get to make it til Sunday eve but oh my, I think I have cracked it. The only change I will make next time is to use all the caramel. I was cautious about there being too much but let's be honest, you can never have too much of a good thing especially where salted caramel is concerned.

I brought these into work the next day and they didn't last long. I now need another excuse to make them again!

Salted Caramel 

100ml double cream
1 tsp sea salt
100g caster sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
100g unsalted butter (softened)
100g milk/dark chocolate – I prefer milk as it’s less rich but dark works just as well.
30ml water

  • In a deep, heavy bottomed pan add the water, sugar and golden syrup. Stir until combined and then boil over a medium heat until the temperature reaches 170C on a sugar thermometer.
  • Once it reaches that temp take it off the heat immediately. Don't just turn off the ring, put the pan on an unused ring on the cooker.
  • While that pan is boiling away gently heat the cream until its warm but not bubbling.
  • Once the sugar mix has reached 170 pour the cream into the pan but take care as it is VERY hot and will bubble up for a few seconds. Keep stirring until it’s all combined and you will have a yummy looking but very hot pan of caramel.
  • Now pour all the mixture into a measuring jug and add 1tsp of salt and leave to cool.
  • Once cool taste the caramel and add more salt if needed.

Chocolate Brownies
185g unsalted butter diced
300g dark chocolate
85g plain flour
40g cocoa powder
3 large eggs
275g light soft brown sugar
 
  • Grease and line your tin. Mine is about 32cm x 20cm
  • Preheat the oven to 160C (fan)
  • Place the butter and 200g of chocolate in a bowl above a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until it melts.
  • While the butter and chocolate is doing its melting thing add the eggs and sugar to a bowl and whisk. You will need a mixer or electric whisk to do this as they need to be whisked for about 5 mins until pale in colour and doubled in volume.
  • Fold the melted chocolate and butter into the eggy sugar mixture and then sift in the flour and cocoa.
  • Bash the rest of the chocolate with a rolling pin into small chunks.
  • Add the chocolate chunks to the mixture and pour into the prepared tin.
  • Pour the salted caramel over the top of the mixture and using the tip of a knife swirl it into it.
 
  • Place in the oven for 30-35 mins.
And that's it - super amazing brownies. I dare you to eat only one!



I have also linked this post over at the Bakers Anonymous page.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments