The Clandestine Cake Club Competiton

By A Wee Bit of Cake - April 06, 2013

Just to let you know this is a long post!

Today I was at the Cake and Bake Show in Manchester as I was taking part in the Clandestine Cake Club competition and it was being judged by Peter Sidwell. I will tell you all about the show in my next post but this one is all about the competition and it was brilliant!

I made my chocolate salted caramel cake (I will also post the recipe for this soon) and unfortunately I didn't win but I don't mind at all. My cake was tasted and liked by a professional baker and he even said to me after the winner got her prize that the salted caramel tasted really good. That was as good as winning for me to get praise like that for my cake. He was so friendly and posed for a photo with me too and was chatting to me and Himself about the amount of bakes he had to try when he did the Afternoon Tea round of Britain's Best Bakery. I think the number was around 45!

Our cakes were then left out on show but unforunatley the general public couldn't try any. Something to do with insurance and cos they were baked in our home kitchens... 

Also I can't forget Lynn (the CCC organiser) cos without her I wouldn't have had this opportunity. She really is fantastic and is doing an amazing job at the Cake and Bake show over these three days. Im knackered after being there for a few hours but she is at the CCC stand all day from Friday to Sunday. Thank-you Lynn, all us CCC members really appreciate all the hard work you put in.

Oh and congratulations to the lady that won. I didn't hear her name but she made a chocolate and lime cake. The brief was all about the flavour and Peter felt her cake was the best. I need to try and get in contact with her as I would like to have a go at making her cake. I made a chocolate and lime cake once before but the lime wasn't strong enough so I'm intrigued to see other recipes for it.

Finally I think a special congratulations needs to be said to all the competitors. All their cakes were fab - well done everyone!

Anyway, enough of my rambling, here are some photos from the competition.







This one had chocolate and bacon in it


My cake!





Me and my cake

All the competitiors

Me and Peter Sidwell



Lynn Hill and Peter Sidwell

The winning cake - congratulations!!!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Well done! I saw your cake today at the show. Amazing to get great feedback from Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks, means a lot to hear nice comments from everyone. Did you enjoy the show?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Clare,

    It was lovely to meet you yesterday (mine was the chocolate and lime). It was great fun at the show. The salted caramel cake was actually my favourite, my aunt and I were disappointed we weren't able to try some as it looked amazing. It's one I'll definitely be trying myself :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katy,

    Lovely to meet you too! Congrats again on winning, I wish I could have tried a bit of yours too. Is there any chance you could send me the recipe for it? I can send you the recipe for mine if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete